Who's it for? Alpha is ideal for people who are wondering about Christian faith, or are interested in exploring key life questions...
Probably the most important part of any Alpha: the chance to share thoughts and ideas on the topic, and simply discuss it in a small group. There’s no obligation to say anything and there’s nothing you can’t say (seriously). It’s an opportunity to hear from others and contribute your own perspective in an honest, friendly and open environment.
Alpha Questions for WBC family
- Jesus said, ‘The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give a rich and satisfying life.’ (John 10:10)
- Do you believe human beings have a ‘spiritual enemy’, out to ‘steal and kill and destroy’?
- In what ways have you experienced this?
- How have you learned to resist evil? What have you learned from this week’s video about how to do this?
- PRAYER FOCUS:
Jesus said, ‘The devil is a liar and the father of lies’ (John 8:44) Pray that you will learn to recognise and stand against the devil’s lies, and so experience the ‘rich and satisfying’ life that Jesus comes to give.
The Bible says: ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart; don’t rely on what you think you know. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.’ (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- What do you think of the idea that God guides people? How does this happen in practice? How and when have you experienced God’s guidance?
- What was your part in that?
- PRAYER FOCUS:
Pray for God’s guidance in your life, specifically about anything you are currently in need of wisdom or direction for. And, in prayer, tell God you trust Him, and want to follow His direction in this matter.
Pray for God’s guidance for our nation and our leaders, particularly as we face a resurgence of COVID-19, and as we approach a General Election and referenda votes.
- The Bible says ‘All Scripture is inspired by God …’ (literally, ‘God-breathed’) What do you think that word (inspired or God-breathed) actually means? Do you believe it?
- That verse (2 Timothy 3:16) continues: ‘It is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.’ Have you ever experienced any of those things when reading the Bible? Try and think of some specific examples …
- PRAYER FOCUS:
The Bible claims that ‘The word of God is alive and powerful. … It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.’ (Hebrew 4:12) Pray that in your own life, and in our church and our local community, God’s word will be heard, and will indeed be alive and powerful.
- What is your personal experience of prayer? Have you ever prayed? Do you pray a lot, or not much?
- Do you have any experiences where God has clearly answered your prayers? Or where He clearly has not? How do you feel about these experiences?
- Maybe prayer involves more than just asking God for things … What else might prayer be?
- How would you describe faith? The Bible gives this definition of faith – ‘Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see.’ (Hebrews 11:1) … What do you think of that definition? What exactly does it mean?
- It’s been said that ‘everybody lives by faith in some way – consciously or unconsciously’ … Do you agree? In what ways might that be true?
- What do you think about the idea of Christian faith being a step based on evidence, rather than a ‘blind leap’?
- According to the Bible (see James 2:18), genuine faith expresses itself in action.
Is there some action God is calling you to do as an expression of your faith in Him?
- What do you think of the claim that God is good and loving, in light of all the suffering in our world … and, maybe, in your life …?
- Can you see a link between this question (above) and Jesus dying on a cross 2,000 years ago?
If so, does that make any difference to how you think about and experience suffering?
- What does the word ‘forgiveness’ mean to you?
- What is one significant experience of forgiveness you’ve had – either giving it or receiving it?
- If you are not a Christian, what do you think about Jesus? Has your opinion changed after watching this week’s video?
- If you are a Christian, how has Jesus impacted your life? In what ways do you think you are different from how you’d be otherwise?
- If Jesus were sitting next to you, what would you say to Him or ask Him?
Jesus claimed to be ‘the way, the truth, and the life’ …
- What is your current ‘way’ – what gives you guidance and direction?
If your ‘way’ is Jesus … how does he guide your life?
- What is your ‘truth’ – what do you come back to for answers & wisdom?
If your ‘truth’ is Jesus – does this work when you face hard questions?
- What is your ‘life’ – what do you count on to make life worth living?
If your ‘life’ is Jesus – what difference does he make for you?